Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Humility

I think humility is one of the most important qualities a teacher must possess. When teachers can admit they're wrong, they have become a better teacher in doing so. If you can tell students they are wrong when they are wrong, they need to be able to tell you when you're wrong too. In order to develop a respecting and meaningful relationship with your students, you need to recognize when you've messed up. If you don't, your students will become frustrated with you and may not respect you as much.

My boyfriend is constantly making me humble myself. Sometimes I try to act like I know more than him, but then he catches me on something and proves me wrong. It's really hard to give in and say he's right because sometimes I feel like my ego is threatened. However, I actually feel better when i do admit I'm wrong. Everyone is wrong sometimes, and we can't learn unless we admit we are wrong sometimes. If we go along believing that the sky is red and refuse to let anyone tell us otherwise, we are hindering our own learning development. We need to never be afraid to question ourselves and never be afraid to acknowledge what other people say about us.

Teachers need to find the balance. We can't be right all of the time. Usually, if we're wrong sometimes, it humanizes us to our students and helps them relate to us. Instead of being the teacher who knows everything, we're a person who knows a lot about life, but not everything. Yet, if we don't know anything and are constantly being humiliated, that's not good. Teachers need to be credible because we're teaching information that needs to take students throughout their educational careers. Also, if we once in a while admit to our faults, students will be more likely to believe and understand us because if we're right all of the time and refuse to be wrong if we are, students will not know when we are telling the truth and when we are not. When we admit our faults, students will know that when we know something, we know it, and when we don't, we admit to it. Students will follow a teacher like this much better than one who is always right or always wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment